Single Subjects Course
Module 2: PBL experiments is offered as single subject with duration of 12 month and 20 ECTS.
This module is offered both as 1) a regular part of the MPBL (see description below) and as 2) a special designed course for institutions which are in a transformation process to PBL (please contact us for further information). A certificate will be issued.
The overall aim of this course is to support the participants in acquiring knowledge and skills that will enable them to systematically and scientifically design and plan education and courses based on PBL principles and adapted to the given context in the education and/or the institution.
Duration and credit
This course will run from February 15, 2011 – January 30, 2012 and will be of 20 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System). One ECTS is equivalent to approx. 30 hours of participants’ time.
During this module, the participants will plan and design educational experiments which include one or more elements from different PBL models. The courses of the module support the development of process competences, the use of scientific methods and the integration of an intercultural perspective in education.
The educational experiment should be adapted to a teaching and/or institutional context. The experiment should be based on essential PBL principles, focusing upon the development of process competences of students.
After completion of the project unit the participants should be able to
- Understand and discuss fundamental PBL-learning principles and advantages and disadvantages of diverse PBL-models,
- Utilise the theories and methods of PBL to design and plan a PBL based educational experiment, adapted to VU, including a description of tasks and roles of students, staff and the institution,
- Understand and design courses for process competences based on theories and the methods of the project unit to reflect and design teaching activities for systematic development of process competences of students and to reflect own project processes,
- Understand the role of the teacher in a PBL environment and develop strategies for own practice,
- Communicate the product results and the work processes of the project work in a scientific way, in writing as well as orally.
The project is the core part of the learning and should be related to participants own teaching practice within the theme: PBL experiments.
Project form: teamwork
Product: project report on design and reflection on teaching and learning activities for students including a process analysis.
The time used for working on the project, participation in team meetings, facilitator meetings, developing teaching, writing and assessment. In total this will be 10 ECTS.
There are two courses/subjects in the module. These are assessed separately.
There will be offered two courses/subjects:
1) PBL-models with the aim to support the participants in acquiring knowledge about the fundamental principles underlying problem based learning and how these principles can be used in different PBL models as well as the understanding of various types of change strategies by the implementation of PBL.
2) Development of Process Competences and Facilitation and Supervision with the aim to support the participants in development of competences of project supervision related to PBL based learning lesson plans. The participants should also be able to understand the analysis and development of project management and cooperation processes.
The participants will have to work in teams and there will be start up activities facilitating the formation of teams and formulation of projects.
There will an online meeting with the facilitator every month and online seminars using Adobe connect.